Trick or Treat?

This was my micro-presentation for #TMSydney hills yesterday – Halloween. As there are only 5 slides, I thought I’d blog it rather than slideshare it.  In truth, I found it very hard to create something for just 2 minutes.  I guess it’s kind of like my philosophy or approach to tech integration and working with people.

Jack Skellington by Verónica Bautista, on Flickr Trick or Treat

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 Generic Licenseby Verónica Bautista

If I can deliver anything of value in 2 minutes then that’s my trick.

If you can get anything of value in 2 minutes then that’s a treat!
I’m going to give you a glimpse of how I work as an IT integrator.

Spring Ball by Anna Fischer, on FlickrCage-Shaker

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 Generic License  by Anna Fischer

I ask a lot of questions. I like playing the ‘devil’s advocate’ (and for effect, wearing plastic red horns).  Who? What? WHY? When? How? Where?  and What if?  Now there’s a good question as it opens up to lots of possibilities and opportunities.

I first heard of “Cage-shaker” from @whatedsaid. Her Learner Profile post explains this concept better than I can ever do in 20 seconds!  That post helped me distill my thoughts into a 2-minute presentation.
Baby Cage (1930s)
Reg Speller/Fox Photos/Getty Images

Cage-Maker

I am a creative thinker. This photo shows a 1930s nanny in the UK using a patented baby-cage to ‘solve’ the problem of space in the home.  As an IT integrator, I think of solutions that may actually seem ‘out there’ and admittedly, may not always be the best solution.
Cage-maker is a metaphor for creative thinking rather than poor solutions – I hope you got that! 🙂

i have no idea why that caged bird does by emdot, on FlickrCage-Buster
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 Generic License  by  emdot 

I’m a cage-buster. I open up possibilities and opportunities.  But sometimes, the bird inside is too paralysed to fly out.  I think for these people, workingn with me is more a trick than a treat.

So this is what I do.
I think: critically, creatively and reflectively.
I act: coach, model, workshop. I provide training. I communicate. I talk. A lot.
All this amounts to a ‘trick or treat’ experience for some people.  I know that it can feel like a treat for some but  I hope that for the most part, working with me is a treat.
That’s my presentation. Happy Halloween. I hope it was a treat.

2 thoughts on “Trick or Treat?

1. Ed says:

Loved the post, loved the images, loved your presentation. Thanks for the mention! If you can sum that up in 2 minutes, why do people need to spend hours getting to the same point? Effective professional learning doesn’t look the way people used to think (and frequently still do!). Shake the cage!!

2. malyn says:

Thanks Edna.
    To be fair, some points need more time to discuss. But having done this format, I am starting to wonder whether or not we could do more of the same. And you know, doing a 2 minute presentation is far less daunting than doing a keynote – something I don’t ever see myself doing.