This is my pecha-kucha presented at the TeachMeet at Northern Beaches Secondary College – #TMSeaChange on the 25th of June 2013. I did plan to share this straight away but time just flew!
Anyway, here it is as a PDF with relevant links:
and a ‘movie’ version, condensing my 7-minute PK to under 2 minutes.
The presentation is divided into the following major sections:
- Pressures that make teachers feel “cooped up in the box” or overwhelmed
- Change is everywhere: Teachers who’ve made changes in their classrooms and they look like they’re having “fun in the box”
- Inspired changes I have made in my classrooms – ideas I’ve “stolen” like an artist
- It’s ok to “steal” ideas like an artist (there’s a book) and it’s ok to get lost (we make our own map)
- An invitation for teachers to “Be the change” and to share…so I can steal more ideas 🙂
In case you’ve missed it, this presentation is a hat tip to my tweeps (by order of appearance) – links in PDF shared above:
- @cuttheknotM – shared story of H Fawcett’s unique way to introduce and teach Geometry
- @brucew_o – weekly newspaper to enrich engagement and learning of Biology
- @7MrsJames – use Instagram to showcase and inspire student work
- @whatedsaid – promote curiousity and wonder through Inquiry; build community of teachers
- @samjshah – motivation for teachers swamped with report-writing
- @dbatty1 – inspire students to lobby for and run a new elective: Minecraft
- @cpaterso – give feedback before grades
- @biancah80 – goals, medals, missions and also campfire, watering hole, cave
- @dcox21 – problems vs exercises
- @maryannreilly – getting lost is a privilege (for students and teachers) and we make our own map
I’ve been inspired by so many and it was difficult to limit to the above…but hopefully, you get the drift….change starts with us and it has already started.
Be the change.